This Question Bank is designed for students and teachers to use when meeting with a Judicial Speaker, in addition to the questions provided we reccomend that teachers encourage students to write their own questions. On average 10-15 questions should be prepared prior to the meeting. Judicial speakers appreciate it when the questions are printed with the students name.
- Are you ever concerned that the sentence you impose will create media backlash?
- How difficult is it to provide an adequate sentence that considers the victim, the accused and society?
- Is it difficult not to want to consider your own personal morals/values when delivering a sentence?
- Have you ever disagreed with a jury’s verdict? If so, how does this make you feel about the sentencing process?
- Have you ever been a part of circle sentencing?
Trial and Appeal Process
- Is there an aspect of the trial process that you disagree with or wish you could amend?
- In the instance that the DPP appeal a case, is the defendant required to pay further funds to their legal team to have the case reheard? If so, what are some of the repercussions of this?
- What are some common misconceptions about the trial process?
- What complexities are introduced in regards to appellate jurisdiction as compared to original jurisdiction?
- Have you ever been verbally abused by a defendant
- Have you ever witnessed an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander on a jury? If so, is this a common occurrence?
What’s the most disturbing evidence you’ve seen?
Have you ever tried another judge?
How do you try to make fair and unbiased decisions? If there is a process which prevents bias, what is it?
Can a judge tell a lawyer that he is taking too much time in questioning a witness?
Are there cases when no jury is needed and the judge makes all of the decisions?
Law and the Legal System
- Is there a piece of legislation that you feel needs reviewing and why?
- Is there a particular piece of legislation that you’re passionate about (positive or negative)?
- Do you notice a time lag between new legislation and changing social values? (e.g.: Bail Act and Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act) reforms?
- What is your opinion on a charter of rights for Australia?
- In what ways does multiple types of courts affect resource efficiency and are there any other positives or negatives associated with the court hierarchical structure?
- When considering resource efficiency, should all trials be judge alone, in light of the Simon Gittany case?
- Is there a trend on the type of accused persons at your court?
- Do you think that police have too much or too little discretion?
- How has the level of recidivism for young offenders changed over time?
- How do we solve the issue of detaining individuals? Huge cost to society – what are our best alternatives?
What do you think are the most significant cases in Australian history?
How do you think the Australian Legal System could be improved?
Being a Judge/Lawyer
- As a female in the legal industry, have you found it difficult to be promoted?
- Have you ever set any notable precedents that you think have changed common law for the better?
- What was the most interesting case you’ve ever heard?
- Does being a lawyer affect your personal life?
- Why did you become a lawyer and how long have you been a lawyer?
- What’s the most shocking case you’ve worked on?
- What’s the hardest part about being a lawyer?
- What happens if a lawyer gets charged with something?
- Why aren’t you allowed to turn your back on the judge in court?
What is the emotional impact of being a judge especially in terms of dealing with the sentencing of ordinary people?
- Did you do Legal Studies in High School and if so, how did you go?
- If you weren’t a lawyer, what would you be doing?
- How long have you been practising law?
- What’s been the highlight or defining moment of your career?
How do you become a judge?
What qualifies you to be a judge beyond a law degree?