Due to the current Covid-19 social distancing requirements at the Courts, there will be no Court Excursions to the Sydney Courts in the near future.
The Rule of Law Education will not be taking any bookings for Court Excursions in 2022 until the restrictions have been lifted and the Courts are open to the general public.
The below information has been released by the Courts regarding Open Justice
Supreme Court of NSW Protocols (click here) on 31 January 2021
Open justice and media
Courtrooms are closed to media and the public. AVL links for media available from the Media Manager. Members of the public wishing to view a matter should contact email@example.com.
District Court Updates Covid-19 (click here) 12 Jan 2022 District Court Criminal Practice Note 23
56. The Court remains committed to the principles of open justice. However, the risk of COVID-19 requires the Court to limit the persons who may attend a trial in person.
57. Members of the public may not attend court in person. Should a member of the public wish to view a trial, attendance will be permitted by use of the virtual courtroom. The link to the virtual courtroom may be provided on request made by email to the trial Judge’s associate. All such requests will be subject to orders made by the trial Judge concerning the conduct of the trial. A list of associate contact details is available on the Court’s website.
58. A member of the media may not attend Court in person. Should a member of the media wish to view a trial, attendance will be permitted by use of the virtual courtroom. The link to the virtual courtroom may be provided on request made by email to the Court’s media liaison officer (firstname.lastname@example.org). All such requests will be subject to orders made by the Trial Judge concerning the conduct of the trial.
Should you require any further information please contact email@example.com
In the meantime, our Law Day Facilitators have put together some resources that give you a taste of a Court Excursion that you can share with your students:
- Virtual Law Day Out: online court excursion
- Court Room Experience: Independent student activity looking at courtroom participants and the layout of the courtroom
- BuzzFeed: Are you ready for a Day at the Courts?
- Case Note: Updated Keli Lane Resource
- Presumption of Innocence: Watch an interview with Mark Tedeschi AM QC about the role of a prosecutor, the presumption of innocence, and the standard of proof in a criminal case
A Court Visit is a free self-guided visit to a Sydney CBD or Regional court.
- The maximum number of students per day in the Downing Centre is 90, the Supreme Court 20 and Parramatta 25.
- Preference will be given to Year 11 and Year 12 students
- Year 9 students are not permitted to visit courts
Booking a Court Visit via this website ensures access to the court building for your students. Bookings cannot be made directly with the Courts.
All court visits start at 10am.
If you would like to book a faciliated excursion with a judicial speaker please book a Law Day Out.
If you have an urgent need for a Court Visit please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Bookings for Term 4 will be open soon.
Things to note when booking a Court Visit
- Read our Terms and Conditions Policy and download the Excursion Pack to prepare for your visit.
- Based upon your school calendar and availability, find a booking slot on the calendar that is marked “AVAILABLE”.
- Open the Booking slot in a separate tab on your browser. If you do not open a separate tab, you will only be able to complete part of the form and your booking will not be processed. To open in a separate browser RIGHT CLICK on top of the booking slot you would like and choose “Open in a new tab“
- In the booking form, select the amount of tickets (ie students + teachers) that the group requires. Note there are limits for each Court Visit as determined by the Sheriffs.
- If you make a mistake or try and book more tickets than are available it is better if you go back to the start and make a new booking
- Contact us by email if you have not heard from us after 1 week or on 02 8076 8221 if your enquiry is more urgent. We are currently working on our booking system. If you have any difficulties please let us know.