Following our meeting with the Sheriff’s, we have been informed that the Sydney CBD Courts will not open for school excursions in the near future.
Even though the Courts have returned to regular court operations, students are unable to sit in on cases due to Social Distancing requirements.
We are working with the Judiciary to find alternative arrangements, however for the time being School groups are unable to visit the Sydney CBD Courts.
It is expected that Schools will not be able to attend the Sydney CBD Courts in Term 2 and unless we can arrange a Covid-Safe Option, possibly even Term 3.
. Should you require any further information please contact email@example.com
In the meantime, our Law Day Facilitators have put together some resources that give you a taste of a Court Excursion that you can share with your students:
- Virtual Law Day Out: online court excursion
- Court Room Experience: Independent student activity looking at courtroom participants and the layout of the courtroom
- BuzzFeed: Are you ready for a Day at the Courts?
- Case Note: Updated Keli Lane Resource
- Presumption of Innocence: Watch an interview with Mark Tedeschi AM QC about the role of a prosecutor, the presumption of innocence, and the standard of proof in a criminal case
A Court Visit is a free self-guided visit to a Sydney CBD or Regional court.
- The maximum number of students per day in the Downing Centre is 90, the Supreme Court 20 and Parramatta 25.
- Preference will be given to Year 11 and Year 12 students
- Year 9 students are not permitted to visit courts
Booking a Court Visit via this website ensures access to the court building for your students. Bookings cannot be made directly with the Courts.
All court visits start at 10am.
If you would like to book a faciliated excursion with a judicial speaker please book a Law Day Out.
If you have an urgent need for a Court Visit please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Bookings for Term 4 will be open soon.
Things to note when booking a Court Visit
- Read our Terms and Conditions Policy and download the Excursion Pack to prepare for your visit.
- Based upon your school calendar and availability, find a booking slot on the calendar that is marked “AVAILABLE”.
- Open the Booking slot in a separate tab on your browser. If you do not open a separate tab, you will only be able to complete part of the form and your booking will not be processed. To open in a separate browser RIGHT CLICK on top of the booking slot you would like and choose “Open in a new tab“
- In the booking form, select the amount of tickets (ie students + teachers) that the group requires. Note there are limits for each Court Visit as determined by the Sheriffs.
- If you make a mistake or try and book more tickets than are available it is better if you go back to the start and make a new booking
- Contact us by email if you have not heard from us after 1 week or on 02 8076 8221 if your enquiry is more urgent. We are currently working on our booking system. If you have any difficulties please let us know.