We have been informed by the Sheriffs at the Sydney CBD Courts that school excursions to the Courts are unlikely to occur in Term 2 or Term 3. As a result, we have closed the bookings for Court Visits and Law Day Outs.
At this point there is a great deal of uncertainty and they are unable to give a clear date for resumption of school visits. Due to the large number of matters being adjourned, when Courts do return to business as usual there is a concern that school visits will add to the congestion and capacity at the Courts.
We will keep you posted as to when we will resume taking bookings for school excursions to the Courts.
In the meantime, our Law Day Facilitators have put together some resources that give you a taste of a Court Excursion that you can share with your students:
- Court Room Experience: Independent student activity looking at courtroom participants and the layout of the courtroom
- BuzzFeed: Are you ready for a Day at the Courts?
- Case Note: Updated Keli Lane Resource
- Presumption of Innocence: Watch an interview with Mark Tedeschi AM QC about the role of a prosecutor, the presumption of innocence, and the standard of proof in a criminal case
LAW DAY OUT Court Excursion Program
The Law Day Out (LDO) is a paid court excursion for Years 10, 11 and 12 school students that includes the Rule of Law Education team:
- arranging a court or judicial officer to speak to students about their work and the rule of law;
- Law Day Out Facilitators guiding students in their observation of court matters;
- liaising with the courts and making all the necessary arrangements for a LDO.
LDO’s start at 8:30am. If your school is unable to be outside the Courts at 8:30am you will need to book a Court Visit.
If you have an urgent need for a LDO please email email@example.com. Booking for Term 4 will open soon.
Things to note when booking a Law Day Out
- Read our Terms and Conditions Policy and download our Excursion Pack
- Based upon your school calendar and availability, find a booking slot on the calendar below that is marked “AVAILABLE.”
- Open the Booking slot in a separate tab on your browser. If you do not open a separate tab, you will only be able to complete part of the form and your booking will not be processed. To open in a separate browser RIGHT CLICK on top of the booking slot you would like and choose “Open in a new tab“
- In the booking form, select the number of tickets for each group. Eg for a Large group of 40 students select 1 large ticket.
- If you make a mistake or try and book more tickets than are available it is better if you go back to the start and make a new booking
- Contact us by email if you have not heard from us after 1 week or on 02 8076 8221 if your enquiry is more urgent. We are currently working on improving our online booking system. If you have any difficulties, please do not hesitate to email us.